Sunday, January 22, 2012

Surprise trip to Salobreña


            I didn’t have any plans for this particular Sunday; I thought I was just going to lounge around in my pajamas until 3pm. At the drop of a hat my future changed, and I snatched up the opportunity like a hungry animal: smoothly, quickly, and without over-thinking.
In the morning we met at the statue of Isabel Católico, the queen who granted Christopher Colombus the funds needed for his journey. It is a popular meeting place for locals. There were four girls whom I did not know, and one classmate who had invited me. From there we took the city bus to the bus station, and for 11€ purchased a round trip ticket to Salobreña, one of the closest beaches to Granada. Almost all the shops were closed but we managed to buy some snacks and Tinto de Verano at a gas station on our way. We laid in the gravelly sand under the sun and ‘lizarded’, shared stories, and some of the crazier members of the group jumped off the cliff nearby. The water was salty, ice cold, and crystal clear. After you lost feeling of your body, swimming was tolerable. We trekked for lunch, I consumed a delectable falafel sandwich for 3€ while others enjoyed a three course Chinese meal. Over the span of the day we became more comfortable with one another and foraged friendships. Laughter comes easily for us and a communal sense of adventure is shared, how fortunate that we found each other! To think I was just going to stay home… Once again my spontaneity has been rewarded.                                                                                                                                                                     
 Arrival.
Abandoned bicycle.
Feetsies.
  
 Tokens of affection.
The Group.
 At the top.
In the middle.
At the bottom.
 Gulls
 Lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment