Saturday, January 21, 2012

Saturday Afternoon


 Breakfast.

I went for a walk today, my body needed a rest from the hike the day before and I wanted to document a few engaging peculiarities of the spanish culture. I gathered a few unexpected shots along the way.



 Granada: literally means Pomegranate.

There was no one was inside on this beautiful day, everyone was outside exercising. With tennis courts, biking and skateboard parks, playgrounds, running biking and rollerblading trails, fútbol fields, ping-pong tables, and public outdoor exercise equipment (how logical! the equipment is simple and easy to understand, free of charge, open to everyone, and conveniently located) there was something to cater to every age-group. It is not difficult to see how the population stays fit and healthy. There is no secret potion or diet that you must pay a price to have the information revealed.
They get out and move their bodies, they eat small morning and nighttime meals, they take the time to prepare their own meals and eat slowly with their friends and family, and most of their fats come from olive oil instead of hydrogenated oils.
The only McDonalds I have seen is fifteen minutes by bus outside of the city because it incurs such steep taxes it cannot afford real estate in the downtown area. The Burger King in the middle of town charges at least 8$ US dollars per burger due to these taxes imposed on fast food restaurants. Compare that to the fresh salad I can make for 2$ US and it’s clear to see that without these temptations maybe it would be easier for Americans to turn down unhealthy foods.

Outdoor elliptical.

Exercise equipment.

 Swingin'

 Up the stairs.

 I played with these boys for a while, but they weren't interested in having a girl on their team.

 
 Here are some shots of the trail where I like to run. Each day the bulldozers advance closer to my favorite part of the trail… I felt I needed to capture it on camera before it disappears completely.
 Carnage.

 Magical Bridge.

Tunnel of thorns.

Snow melt.

Towards the end of my walk I think if could reverse time and do college over again, I would study abroad every semester. Maybe not realistic, but this new landscape is breathtaking and it started a travel bug that craves to experience everything. I feel alive and appreciative of life. 





No comments:

Post a Comment