Monday, January 9, 2012

Orientation Day 2


I am finally moved into my apartment, and a seemingly unimportant moment soon became a treasured memory. I was looking out the window in our kitchen, the cool outside air kissing my face and the radiator warming my body. Sitting on a stool eating fresh bread and cheese, my four spanish roommates were all cooking their dinners and chatting- the five of us in a room the size of my mom’s closet at home. Smells and laughter filled the air while I ate my meal made delicious by hunger. It was around 10pm at night and the Alhambra was light up and the full moon hung over the entire city.

I woke up at 5am because I was so cold I could not sleep. There is no heat in buildings during the day; I keep my coat on all the time- walking, inside buildings, and during meals. I really appreciate their energy consciousness- but at that moment I hated them and damned their habits of conservation, I got out of bed and pulled on more clothes- the floor was colder than a sheet of ice so I danced around on my toes while getting dressed, and returned for a fitful slumber.

2 comments:

  1. i love all your updates!! So fun to read about your challenges..looks like you need another blankie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So quick to judge the consumerism/conveniences to which you have become so accustomed...

    ReplyDelete