Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Poco a poco

Today was my happiest day here so far. I woke up late for class, but found my way there eventually trying to keep the mentality of the Spanish who take their sweet time (it is an ongoing project of mine to stop worrying, and to be surround by relaxed people is just the medicine I need). I walked to the library with some friends to rent the book we need for class, then went home to go for a run. When I walk around the city, no one makes eye contact with me- but when I go for a run everyone seems fascinated! Heads turn, jaws drops, and people unreservedly stare. I know I am not that fast, so it must be unusual for women to run as a hobby here. It was sunny and warm, and I went along the river boardwalk until I ran a bit further than I did last night. Poco a poco I will work my way to the Sierra Nevadas, the mountains at the end of the river road.
 
Poco a poco was my mantra today. I have been beating myself up for not speaking Spanish with perfect grammar and not learning vocabulary new quick enough, I must understand that it will come to me little by little. It has been a huge source of frustration to not be able to communicate exactly what I mean, and to be at a loss for words. It is also a very humbling experience.
 
I showered then made myself a huge salad with spinach, tomatoes, and queso fresco, and sat outside on our rooftop patio sipping peach juice out of the carton. It was a perfect scene, one that a camera cannot capture.
 
In the afternoon we visited the Albaicín, a neighborhood in the hillsides of Granada. I didn’t listen much to the tour guide, because I was off on my own taking pictures. I hate being seen with large crowds, especially obnoxious Americans.


Un gato.

Can you find me?

Stone sink.

Aloes with flowers!
Kids eating ice cream.

En los jardínes del Albaicín


The lights kept shutting off while I was cooking dinner (hot oil and darkness should never be combined), I guess the portable electric radiator that my roommates lent me trips the circuit breaker so it looks like I will be wearing my sweatshirt to bed again!

Con cariño <3

2 comments:

  1. hey pretty girl--your photos are beautiful. i'm enjoying your blog very much, too. this is such an amazing journey you're on! i look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. been missing you a lot lately. it's nighttime in alabama and I suddenly felt the overwhelmingly need to be outside, so I put on your shoes and walked. it goes on forever. endless green grass and antebellum buildings with white white white columns. I know it's only been a week since we saw each other, but I got the haley blues something fierce. after this, can we never leave each other again? remember to scout out places for you me and ian to live after we graduate. this thing you're doing is beautiful by the way. it makes the the whole 7000-kilometres-apart thing a little more tolerable. DON'T STOP. <3.

    ReplyDelete